Launch of the competition
The Bamiyan Culture Centre design competition was an open international architectural design project competition conducted in one stage, organized in accordance with the UNESCO-UIA Standard Regulations for International Competition in Architecture and Town Planning.
The competition was an open call for proposals based on an anonymous design submission. Architects, engineers, designers and students were invited develop and submit a proposal for the Cultural Centre in Bamiyan, as individuals, companies or joint ventures. One team member had to be a licensed / registered architect.
Participation in the competition was free and open to all without restriction of country of origin. The competition opened on 15 November 2014 and ended on 23 January 2015.
Critical Principles of Design:
- Create an innovative design.
- Create a vital centre for the cultural community of Bamiyan allowing individuals to commune and share ideas.
- Integrate the Bamiyan Valley view into the building design and create a positive visual impact on the Cultural Landscape of Bamiyan Valley.
- Integrate an environmentally conscious design, which in the Bamiyan context should consider locally resourced materials, climate and efficiency.
- Connect to the historical context of the World Heritage property.